Monday, January 9, 2012

Lean On Him

Sometimes life can be very hectic, to say the least. No matter what season of life we are in, there are cares, concerns, and situations that demand our attention and drain us physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. There are issues with spouses, kids (small and not so small), grandchildren, aging parents, co-workers, friends. . . and the list goes on and on. How do we cope with all that life brings? Who do you turn to for help?

As I was reading recently in John’s gospel in chapter 13 (the account of Jesus washing His disciples feet and sharing with them one last meal), I noticed the posture of one of the disciples in verse 23 . I found myself meditating on this verse and what this disciple’s body language conveyed. The disciple is none other than John, the one who never mentions his own name, but refers to himself as the disciple whom Jesus loved. John is “leaning on the bosom of Jesus”; we can learn something from his position. John was resting and relaxing, having no idea of what was about to happen. His beloved Jesus was about to face the agony of the Cross, but John seemed so calm, simply leaning on his Savior. Perhaps he did not fully comprehend the magnitude of all that the Lord would face, but his posture indicates that he was content with just being in the Lord’s presence, not having a care in the world.

I have actually pictured myself resting in my Savior’s arms, especially when I am tired and weary or anxious and afraid. The thought of Him holding me is so comforting and calming. The mental picture that the Holy Spirit puts into my heart and mind brings me such a sense of peace, and I too am content with just being in His presence. What about you? Have you ever pictured yourself resting in the Lord’s arms?

Ladies, are you facing some monumental situation in 2012? Is there a concern that seems to grip you with worry and fear? Take a good look at the posture of John and then “lean” on our compassionate, loving Savior. He is always willing to comfort us and give us His peace. We cannot change our circumstances, but we can draw close to Christ and allow Him to soothe our weary hearts. We can also find comfort in the words He gave to His disciples in that upper room, and they are calming words for us now, “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” John 14:27

Whatever happens in 2012, let us learn to lean!

No comments: