Thursday, January 12, 2012

Learning To Lean

I mentioned in my blog earlier this week that we should learn to lean on Jesus. My dear friends I am so glad that the Lord does not leave us clueless about how we should go about laying all our cares at His feet, and not letting our sometimes hectic lives get the best of us. I want to share some Scripture passages that have been a blessing to me over the years; they have helped me to “lean” on the Lord:

1. Are you tired? All of us at times wear many hats. . .wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, care-giver, church member, and sometimes we wear multiple hats at the same time. Whew! How do we keep it all together without wanting to throw our hands up and declare, “Okay, Lord I just can’t take it anymore!” He has a wonderful invitation for us found in Matthew 11:28, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.”

2. Are you anxious? Anxious feelings can overcome you as you deal with circumstances surrounding your marriage (or no marriage prospects), a rebellious child, an aging parent, a dishonest co-worker, a disloyal friend, and ________________; you fill in the blank. Our glorious God gives us a remedy for our anxious hearts, “ Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4:6

3. Are you worried? Are there any frequent worriers out there? Everyone knows our economy has been in turmoil for quite a while now, so are you concerned about your long-term financial situation and how you will make ends meet? We serve a Heavenly Father that owns everything and He tells us how futile it is to worry. “And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:27,34 (The entire passage of Matthew 6:25-34 is great to read if you struggle with worrying.)

There are so many more verses that I could also share, but just know that as we fill our minds with God’s Word, we will see a huge change in the way we view life’s “stressors”. I know this to be very true because I have tried it, and it really works!!

Your testimonies also are my delight; they are my counselors. Psalm 119:24

No comments: