Monday, January 21, 2013

Friendship Part 1


Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one. ~ C.S. Lewis

 

When I ran across this statement by C. S. Lewis, I immediately loved it.  I cannot tell you how many times the start of a friendship for me has begun with me jokingly saying, “M & Ms are my nerve pills” or “chocolate is a major food group for me.”  Inevitably, the comment back is “Me too!”  That’s when I know I have a true soul sister who shares my love of chocolate.

However, there are times as a minister’s wife that the comment of “I thought I was the only one” arises.  For ministers’ wives we are often isolated from our church congregations.  Oh, we have friends but sometimes they are “arm-length” friends.  Very seldom can we fully open ourselves up to a friend in our congregation. 

Friendships are truly born.  They have a life of their own.  They develop over time as long as we nurture them.  I have found that sometimes a friend does not have to say anything.  All she has to do is sit beside you and hold your hand.  That is true friendship.

When we are able to share openly with a sister in ministry we can get rid of stress.   We can learn that we are not “the only one” who struggles with certain issues like loneliness, jealously, sharing our husbands, criticism, etc.  Having a friend to share with can allow us some peace and freedom.  While one sister is struggling the other sister can encourage and be understanding.  However, never ever let the struggling sister stay rooted in her misery.  Show her the positive.

I am only beginning to form friendships with the staff wives at my new church.  We are beginning to connect as we learn things about each other.  There have been several “What!  You too?” moments followed with laughter.  I find great comfort in knowing that I am not alone in this thing called ministry.

 

No comments: