Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Friendship Part 2


Friends Are Treasures
-- Horace Bruns

I have lots of treasures.  I have a cute M & M jar that never runs empty. I have seashells from the different beaches I have been to.  I have three pieces of my mom’s doll china.  I have tons of photos of my family and friends.  I have costly jewelry.  There are precious books and a comfy blanket.  I have several items that belonged to my grandmothers.  I even have several handmade quilts that belong to my great-great grandmothers.  However, I have learned over the years that my most treasured possessions besides my salvation in Jesus are my friends.

I do try to take care of each friendship like I would any of my earthly treasures.  I do not just claim my friendship and then sit them on the shelf to collect dust.  I like to spend time with my friends and catch up on their lives.  Oh, we may only see each other on rare occasions and sometimes years, but we still visit through email, phone calls, letters, and now Facebook. 

I have even been known to share a girlfriend with another girlfriend.  Isn’t that what you are supposed to do with treasured family heirlooms?  Pass them on or share them?  It has been funny to watch when two of my treasured friends meet for the first time and a brand new friendship begins.   I love it!  I secretly have a desire to one day have all my girlfriends in one big room and introduce them all to each other and see what happens.  I firmly believe there would be a mass of treasure discovered in that room.

Friendships are a treasure.  Even God’s word tells us the story of David and Jonathan.  Their friendship was special.  These two godly men were more like brothers.  They knew each other’s hearts and protected one another.  Even our Lord surrounded himself with a few close friends.

So ladies, do you have a special friend that is a treasure?  Tell her/him.  If you do not have a special connection to a friend, I encourage you to make the effort to develop, nurture, and then treasure a friend.   If it was good enough for a young shepherd boy, the son of a king, and Jesus, then it should be good enough for us.

 

 

No comments: