Monday, January 14, 2013

Trials and Triumphs

Happy New Year, my sisters!   I know that this year is already two weeks old, but this is my first time greeting you in 2013. 
I don’t know about you, but with each year, I look forward to what new opportunities and blessings await the next 12 months.  I am also well aware that since life also brings tribulation, I ponder what challenges await as well.  But you must admit that there is something wonderful and exciting about a brand new year, anticipating what the Lord will bring “new” to our lives.
With the dawn of every new year, I like to look back and reflect on the highlights (good and bad) of the previous year.   In fact, I like to write these in a journal so I can have a tangible list of how the Lord worked in my life and how He is shaping me more and more into the image of my Savior. Journaling is actually very “therapeutic”, because it brings comfort knowing that God cares about every little detail of my life. It also becomes an exercise in gratitude, thanking Him for the joys and for getting me through the rough times.
If you find yourself wondering exactly what happened in the blur of last year, the year that was 2012, perhaps you can make a list of the trials and the triumphs that helped to shape your life.  You may be surprised that your triumphs outnumber your trials! Sometimes when we look back and see the trails in the rearview mirror, the Lord reminds us of the wonderful promise in His word, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28.
So, ladies, get out your pad and pen or get to your computers, and for my “high tech” sisters your iphone or ipad, and list, list, list!  I am sure the Lord has been gracious to all of you this past year.  Also, look forward with joyful anticipation to what He will accomplish in and through you this year.
May our Savior shower you with the fullness of His grace and peace in 2013!!

No comments: