Wednesday, January 2, 2013

To Resolve or Not to Resolve?

I have very mixed feelings about making New Year's Resolutions.

They never seem to last. They are usually unrealistic or unattainable. Personally, I know my resolve is weak and I can do nothing apart from Christ.

However, I am so glad that we serve a God of new beginnings and second chances. I love having a clean slate in front of me and the opportunity to start something new.

All this said, I have prayed about one of my "resolutions" and seriously thought about the other.

What have I prayed over? Starting a Bible study with an accountability group for me. I have been in the Word quite a bit in 2012, but honestly, most of it was simple and easy unless I was preparing to teach. Then it was for someone else. God was patient and gracious teaching and growing me this way but this year He has given me a desire to dig deeper and really study for my own spiritual growth.

So I have emailed a few friends and we are praying about meeting one evening a week at a nearby Starbucks after we've fed our families and gotten bath times out of the way. We haven't decided what we will study yet. I think we will discuss that on our first gathering. If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate your input.

What am I seriously thinking about? Weight loss. I mean who isn't at this time of year? I would like to lose about 10-15 lbs but I know that even if that is going to happen I will need to move beyond "seriously thinking" about it to praying over it, submitting it all back to God.

What about you? What are you resolving or not resolving to do in 2013?

2 comments:

Becky said...

You may want to consider "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst.

Becky said...

You may want to consider "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst.