Friday, May 27, 2011

Finally Brethren (or Sistren)?!

Philippians 4:8 has long been a favorite passage of mine. I have memorized it and have it on a plaque in my kitchen. God has used this particular Bible verse in my life during times of stress and worry. He has truly used in to change the way I approach difficult circumstances in my life.

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate of these things."

It was 2:00 AM and I was awake. I replayed all the solutions to the problem my oldest son was experiencing over and over in my head. I called out to God, begged, pleaded, gave suggestions and worried. He is a Godly young man, seeking God's will, surely God will remove these circumstances. I remind God that He is suppose to love Mark more than me and if I could, I would remove this unfair treatment from life.

Does this sound familiar? I know the verses, "Trust in the Lord," "Be anxious for nothing," "The victory is mine, says, the Lord." I am quoting them, claiming them, why am I still awake, still worrying, still without peace?

God took me to Philippians and began to teach me how to think. A change of mind. The mind of Christ replacing the mind of flesh. Listening to the right voice and not the voice of my enemy. He began to show me what was true (His plan is best). He began to remind me that He is just and this situation was not unfair, but part of His plan. He began to show me His pure motives and line them up against my 'motherly motives.' He reminded me that He is the Only One Who is Praiseworthy!

I began to praise and sleep came. God's Word never returns void!

No comments: