Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lessons Taught

Tara…I kept meaning to post to your post last week and never slowed down. When I finally decided to take the time, I realized that it would probably be too long to post (since I tend to give the nine month version) so decided I would save it for this week. Sorry....but at least you know I read yours. Smile.

God has used both of my children to “teach me valuable lessons”. One example that really stands out is when my Dad passed away sixteen years ago. His birthday was October 20th; he passed away October 24th and my birthday was October 27th. He had polycystic kidneys and had been on dialysis for 20 ½ years.

After the funeral, we were helping my mom clean things out, etc. and Roger and I made a trip to town to Goodwill to leave a load and stopped by Wal-mart to pick up a prescription. While I was waiting in line, Roger went and picked up two birthday cards because it was my birthday, even though I had not remembered.

We go back to my mom’s and Roger signs and give me his card and says, “I’m sorry I have not had a chance to get you a present this year…” I busted out crying and told him I did not want a birthday present…….it was the worst birthday of my life.

About that time, our daughter, Kacie came bouncing into the room with the birthday card that her and her brother, Cody had signed for me. She was just a smiling and said, “Mama, guess what? We didn’t even have to get you a birthday present this year. You got the best present ever. Granddaddy “Whistle” don’t ever have to hurt any more.”

WOW….what a lesson to be learned. Here I was being selfish and on a “pity party” and God used my 9 year old daughter to teach me a valuable lesson. My dad had suffered a very long time and was confined to a wheel chair. At the moment God took his hand, my Dad was no longer in pain and was running the streets of gold on two legs. “Out of the mouth of babes.” Don’t get me wrong….I missed my dad, and I still miss him, BUT he had been awarded the Ultimate Reward……he was living in eternity with Our Lord. And I have the assurance of knowing that one day I will see him again.

I could go on and on about the different times God has used Kacie or Cody to teach me lessons. I am sure all of you have many lessons you have been taught also.

We would love to hear them….

2 comments:

Pat said...

Kathy, thanks for sharing. Reminded me of my niece. My mom passed away on her birthday and she's always had a rough time. I sent her a copy of your article and it seemed to help. Said she was gonna look at it as them sharing birthdays--hers on earth and Mamaw's into heaven. Thanks again!

Kathy Britton said...

Pat, Thanks for the comment. I like your niece's thinking.......share birthdays.