Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wow Moments in Ministry

"'What are your Wow moments in ministry?'" I heard this question posed recently at a retreat but unfortuately I cannot recall who said it. However, the question started my mind rolling. Just when have I said "wow" to things taking place in our ministry? I decided that I would explore this question and asked a couple of fellow ministers wives to share one of their moments.


Sometimes the "wow" ends with an exclamation point. You know those times. It is when you say, "Oh wow!" It is like me walking into chocolate factory and being told I could eat it all and not gain a pound. "Wow!" On a more serious note, it is those times when you are totally blown away with what God is doing or how is He is using others.


One sister shared her "Wow!" moment with me on how God poured out His blessing and love on her family when they were going through the adoption process. Being the student minister, the students chose their son's name. Their church family walked through the adoption process with them by showering them with not only money and gifts but with their prayers, love, and time. When the adoption was secured and they were able to bring home their precious son, church members traveled approximately two hours to the meet them at the airport. What is a true "Wow!" moment when God shows His love so strongly to His called by actively using mere humans to be His hands and feet to provide their support during an often difficult and emotional process like adoption.


Sometimes the "wow" is simply uttered with a sigh or a sound of disbelief. It is those times when you find yourself disappointed or just shocked at Christians in general.


My "wow" moment is like a sigh. I sometimes am just confused at how casual Christians can be. Having married at the ages of 19 and 20, my husband and I have been in ministry now 33 years. We have seen some awesome movements of God during this time. However, we have also seen Christians pull away from the church. They either feel they do not need a church family to support and encourage them or they just do not want to feel "preached at," "ask to volunteer their time," or "support the kingdom of God through their tithes and offerings." I am discovering that our society today will accept any belief and what is more shocking many "born-again" Christians feel that there may be many paths to God. All I can utter is a sigh of "wow." I can only pray that God will reveal the truth to our world before it is too late.


So sisters, what are some of your "Wow" moments in ministry? Do your "Wow" moments end in a period or exclamation point? Do they come with a shout or sigh or from amazement or shock? Let me hear from you.

2 comments:

Tara said...

One "wow" moment for me is seeing the fruit of faithfulness on down the road.

I am continually blessed by and amazed at how God is using a group of young women that I had the privillege of discipling while they were in high school Several are now young mothers teaching their children a faith they did not learn in their own homes. One is a doctor and has a huge heart for missions both at home and abroad. One is a minister's wife experiencing the same joys and frustrations I did when my husband was her youth minister. Some of these girls are still searching and I am still praying.

So, some of my "wows" end in exclamation marks and others periods.

Vickie said...

Thanks for sharing your "wow" moment. It is amazing to see youth (guys and girls) that you invested your life in grow into godly men and women who serve their Lord daily.