Friday, May 20, 2011

Wedding Planning






Every year around this same time, I have to keep reminding myself of why I went into education. The end of the year is very hectic. I have less than a week left of school and then will be home until the first of August…..so maybe the hectic end-of-school is worth it.

Now…the wedding planning begins. I am very blessed because my future daughter-in-law and her mother have so graciously chosen to include me in the planning. We have an appointment next week to go shopping. I am so excited.

We have a little over seven months before the wedding, but Melanie is free this summer only and once school starts back in the fall, she will be very busy and the holiday seasons will begin, so time will fly by.

It is such a blessing to listen to Cody and Melanie make plans. I feel so blessed that they are planning for the future and for their marriage and not just planning for the wedding. It seems as if so many times the bride and groom plan for the wedding and forget about the marriage.

The wedding is important and fun………but the marriage is what is lasting. When I got married, my dad told me that marriage is something that I would have to work at for the rest of my life if I wanted it to be successful. Oh, how truthful. A successful marriage takes lots of dedication and work, but the rewards are a blessing. Since Granddaddy is not here to share that with my children, I have passed it on to both of them.

While planning Cody and Melanie’s wedding, I keep remembering not long ago when we were planning for our daughter’s wedding. Wow, time flies! On May 26th, Kacie and Chase will celebrate their 4th anniversary. Happy 4th Anniversary and may you have many, many more. They are pictured in the photo above.

My prayer is that in the mist of planning each couple will prepare as much time planning their marriage as their wedding.

Weddings are just a unique as the individuals involved. I love how the personalities of the bride and groom come out in the weddings. Kacie and Chase had a traditional wedding, but their reception was at the lake and they drove away in a bass boat. Cody and Melanie are still working on some unique touches for their wedding.

I’ve been to a wedding where the groomsmen walked down the aisle wearing sunglasses to “Bad to the Bone”. One wedding looked very traditional until you looked at their feet and everyone, including the bride had on converse tennis shoes in a rainbow of colors. One wedding, the bride had on a traditional dress AND cowboy boots and road up on a four-wheeler.

What are some of the unique things you have witnessed at weddings?

No comments: