Friday, May 13, 2011

A Lesson From My Tom Boy?


Today is my oldest daughter's eighth birthday. My husband and I have just returned from Toys-R-Us and Target. With the shopping we did for us and a couple sets of grandparents, we purchased a Star Wars comforter, Star Wars movie, Star Wars video game and a Star Wars remote controlled thingy. Have you noticed the pattern yet? ; )


I love how my eight year old GIRL is totally into these BOY things. God really made a unique little person when He created Riley. She chose pinkish purple paint for her walls, loves her new gemstone teal blue flip flops, and to wear her hair long. She isn't really that athletic, but is looking forward to trying out soccer in the fall.


No, Riley is not your typical little girl, but I am not sure I would call her a tom boy either. All it took was getting stuck in the apple tree out back once, for her to swear off tree climbing forever.


Riley is Riley, a wonderfully and fearfully made-by-God, growing little Christian. We were talking this morning of her Spiritual Birthday. It is such a blessing to watch her grow both physically and spiritually. As you can tell, both ways have been a real adventure.


Riley does not fit most stereotypes for her age or gender. And, you know what? She is really alright with that. I am so thankful that God has made her content in her own skin. She knows her interests make her a little different and it does not bother her one little bit. Actually, she relishes it. She knows that is how God made her and that is enough for her.


God, make me more like Riley. Keep me from seeking others' approval. Give me the confidence and the faith to just be the me you created me to be. Thank you for teaching me about myself through the faith of my eight year-old little girl. Continue to grow that faith Lord, and may she always find her identity in You. Thank you for Riley!

No comments: