Monday, April 7, 2008

I've Got to be Me

It's official. I'm a blonde and a blogger. This is a totally new world for me-not being blonde but blogging. I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm not that computer savvy. I usually have to ask my very computer minded pastor husband to rescue me from my computer errors. At any rate I am excited about where God is going to lead. Girls, this is a safe haven where our unique sisterhood as ministers wives can come together and be real and open with one another. So let me start by saying I've just got to be me.
So just who am I? I'm a southern girl with a mixed up southern accent (a blend of Arkansas hillbilly, Texas twang, Louisiana Cajun, and Tennessee city girl). I love to write as a way of stress relief. I find pleasure in spending family time with my three boys (my husband and two grown sons). On any given day you will find me in a pair of jeans and a comfortable sweater or t-shirt-NOT a pair of panty hose. (However, there are times when we girls must face the facts that panty hose do serve a purpose such as to help smooth out the middle age bumps and bulges.) My favorite way of tuning into God is sitting on the beach and letting the ocean waves wipe away the stresses of the world. Since my world evolves around three males plus I have helped raise two footballs team, girlfriends who know how to laugh and have girly fun are a must. Let's face it, guys do not understand what a bad hair day is nor do they ever answer the question "does this make me look fat" correctly. I believe chocolate is a major food group and I know my heavenly banquet table will be filled with all kinds of delicious delights. I have a servant's heart that always wants to help. However, although I can play the piano, I am not called to do so at church. Preschoolers are cute but I do not understand them and they give me hives. I prefer to stick with teenagers who just make life fun. Oh yeah, did I mention that I have been married to a minister for 30 years?
See girls, I have to be me. I can't be someone else because God made me unique. Jeremiah 1:5 says, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart." Because God loved me, he threw in all these tidbits and many more that would make me unique. The great part of it all is that he loves this blonde southern blogger ministers wife more each day.
So I've got to be me. What about you? How did God make you unique and set you apart?

4 comments:

Lana said...

Just think, God knew all about you and still called your husband into the ministry. You were no surprise to God! Blonde, chocolate, jeans, t-shirts, all go into making you who are. And there are other ministers wives out there just like you who can relate. You go girl!

Dana said...

So, you can play the piano??? I KNEW you were the perfect pastor's wife!! You are a GREAT writer! Keep it up!

Emily said...

We sound like kindred spirits. I'm blonde, couldn't survive w'out chocolate, love the ocean breeze blowing through my hair, have 2 precious kids, and have just starting out on the journey of being a pastor's wife. I have a year and a 1/2 under my belt now! Thanks for starting this blog. My husband and I were just talking last week about how much we miss our seminary friends (esp. my girlfriends)b/c we all had the same goals and values so it made it so easy to grow in our relationships. It's so much harder to find that in the "world." Now maybe I can find new girlfriends through this!! It makes me what to call y'all and meet at Starbucks!!!
I'm also thankful for the way God has blessed me and my family and for the ways he has molded us into unique individuals. We're very unique in our church b/c we're about 40 years younger than most of our congregation. Lots of times I feel so insecure in my role of "first lady" because of the age difference and lack of life experience but then God provides weekends like this past one in Gatlinburg. I had such a great time and grew in my relationships with the other ladies.
God is doing great things and we're excited about the future.

Vickie said...

Emily:
My dear sister and chocolate friend. Thanks for sharing with us. I understand about missing your seminary friends, but let me encourage to pray now for a friend. God has always supplied me with some pretty awesome and unique ladies. Sometimes they are the most unlikely people in the world to have as a friend.
Vickie