Thursday, April 3, 2008

Who I Am . . .

When I take off all my "hats" and I strip away all my responsibilities, I find some of the things that make me a unique creation of God.

I enjoy a hot bubble bath with a Jane Austen novel, even though I have already seen the movie at least a dozen times . . . I struggle to find patience with other drivers on the road . . . I will eat candy until my stomach aches, but still find room for one more bite of a rich, chocolaty dessert . . . Too often I find myself torn trying to please everyone in my life; I mean I don't want to let anyone down . . . I anticipate Girls' Nights with some good girlfriends, but get really excited about a Date Night with my husband all to myself . . . I wish I were better voicing how I really feel . . . I would love to be the one who says, "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!," at the beginning of a NASCAR race . . And I know I watch way too much television . . .

The thing about this whole process of writing these posts is that it took me awhile to come up with these things that were just about me. I had fallen into that same bad habit of viewing myself in the same way our congregations do - I had categorized and labeled myself. I had put "me" into a box without even knowing it.

Too often we get so involved in serving the church, helping our husbands and making our homes work, we lose us. Don't get me wrong. I love the church. I am devoted to my husband. I want to make our house a home. God has called me to these things and He gives me great fulfillment in these callings.

Yet, He sees me as much more than just the woman who "does" all these things. Psalm 139 says that He has "searched me and knows me." He knows me better than I know myself. This psalm is a favorite of mine. It blows my mind to think about the depths of which the Universe-Creating-God knows me.

Let me encourage you to read it today, rest in its truth and spend some time thinking about the qualities that set you apart. After all, these are the characteristics God gave you to be the minister's wife ( or whatever other "hat" you want to insert here) He called you to be.

What are those qualities?

1 comment:

SM said...

Let me see, the qualities that God gave me that enable me to be a minister's wife... Well, could it be my stubborness or a big lack of patience and not enough self-control. No, probably not. Maybe it's my love of teaching children about God's word and His love for them. Or- an ability to cook and clean up a storm and like it! Maybe it is my gift of adminstration since he did not give that gift to my husband.He began working in my life when I was young to prepare me for this life. I am so thankful that he has given me the husband that he chose for me. I have been called to serve Him. The longer I serve Him the sweeter He grows.