Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Jesus and Chocoloate: It's Can't Get Any Better Than That

If we are going to be buddies, there is something you need to know about me. I am a chocoholic. Have been since birth, am one now, and will always be one. If the doctor ever tells me that I have to give up my daily dose of chocolate, I just hope that Jesus comes that very day and takes me home. Good grief! Life without chocolate is unimaginable.

I believe we should camp out on this issue for a moment. As a minister's wife we face some pretty stressful situations. Someone at church does not like the music and the fact that our husband my have preached just a few minutes past noon brings out those saints with the gift of criticism. Then there is the issue that the minister's wife should be perfect. I can tell you that this gal can be seen in the parking lot every Sunday morning with a lint roller just trying to get the dog hair off my less than perfect outfit. Of course, if you live in a house with males, every woman needs a "take me away" moment with her chocolate. Also, now that I have reached the age of hot flashes, major mood swings, and cannot take hormones, a piece of dark chocolate is the answer to my prayers. My theory is that God gives good things to us and chocolate is one of those.

Yes, chocolate is one of the blessings God gives us but there is another gift that tops the chart. Our Heavenly Father sacrificed his only son Jesus so that we could spend eternity with him. Can you imagine giving one of your children up so that you could save someone? I do not believe I could do it. I am pretty selfish and love my sons dearly. Sacrificing one of them would rip out my heart. However, I believe God's very heart broke the day when Jesus died on the cross of our sins. Remember, the Bible states that the sky turned black and an earthquake shook the ground. It hurts me to know that I often take for granted the sacrifice of Jesus. However, it gives me great joy to know that God loved me (all of us) so much that he gave Jesus, the greatest gift of all. Well, it can't get any better than that!
Read the crucifixion/resurrection story. How do you feel about the sacrifice God made for you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I believe chocolate is a gift from God and since he lives in us through His Spirit, I believe He enjoys the chocolate right along with us. So just keep enjoying that chocolate, Vickie!
A wonderful friend encouraged me to get the book by Henry Blackaby; "Experiencing the Cross" and I encourage everyone of you to do so, if you haven't already. It really puts a clearer focus on the extent of God's sacrifice and reaches deeper than anything I have ever experienced, in this area.
Keep up to good work, Vickie!!