Wednesday, April 2, 2008

So, Who Am I?

Some people spend their whole lives seeking the answer to that question. They change jobs, marry, divorce, "try" various religions or even just watch Oprah to try and figure out who they are.

Yes- I am apart of every "hat" that I wear. I love being Wally's wife and I wouldn't trade being my almost-five-years-old-daughter's mother for anything. Those roles ARE apart of who I am. I have been shaped by my life experiences- the good ones and the hard ones, as well. Growing up in a Christian home, my parents' divorce, moving five times in the first 5 years of marriage - are all circumstances that have left their mark on my life, on who I am.

But maybe the most tricky thing about answering the question of "who I am" is the fact that the answer is ALWAYS changing. I am not the person I was as a teen or as a newlywed. I am not even the same parent I was when my daughter was born. I am not the same minister's wife either. (Same minister, different me!)

Reading all of this, you may think I am having some kind of identity crisis, but I assure I am not. I know Whose I am. I know I was bought at a "priceless" price. I know I am His masterpiece, although it is a work-in-progress, I have a promise of a completed, glorified ending in store.

All my other "identities" will come and go - but I am His forever. What part of His view of you brings you the most encouragement and why?

5 comments:

Vickie said...

I too wear multiple hats. I rest securely in the fact that the most important hat I wear is a princess crown placed on my head by my Heavenly Father.
Vickie

Dana said...

Well...I have tried for 2 days to leave a comment...let's see if this works!!

I thought a lot about your question...and honestly, often times I am not sure who I am!!!

Thank you for reminding me that it is WHOSE I am that matters!!

Blessings to you all!!

Kay Hinson said...

I have considered that question often. The first thing that I am sure of is that I am a child of the KING!
A question that I think about from time time, is: Is it who I am that makes me what I do? Or, Is it what I do make me who I am? I believe it is both, that intwines so tightly, that we can not see the difference. It all belongs together, just like a tight fined combed hairbraid.
When I was growing up my mother would always say as I left for school, "Be pretty!" And, now today I can hear the heavenly Father say as I put my foot out on the floor, "Be Pretty!"
Whatever I do, or whoever I am, especially being the dauther of the King I must "Be Pretty!" For His glory, certainly not for mine. No matter, if a daugher, a child, wife, mother, grandmother or a speaker...I must Be Pretty!

Bek S said...

This is a good question that I often ask myself.
In the midst of chaos and daily grind of being "everything to everybody", its easy to start thinking of ourselves as "just the pastor's wife, or mom, or daughter". We forget there is a woman wrapped up in all those packages that longs for a "safe place" to be herself.
I have been a daughter and PK for 36 years, a wife 17, and a mom for 15 years(fifteen of those years have been in the ministry). I have always been someone to somebody. Often I forget there is a "me" in that mix, until a recent illness has made me realize I have got to take care of myself first.
Correct me ladies if I am wrong, but is that not the hardest thing ever?
Taking care of my emotional and physical needs first doesn't come natural for me.
Thank you for the reminder, that "I" am HIS, God loves ME, "I" am special to Him, and its ok to take a "time-out" for myself.

k said...

So grateful to know Who I am in Christ and Who I belong to. We are most fortunate to have that reassurance in today' mixed up world!

Karen