Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Accountability

II Timothy 2:24-26 NIV "And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will."

Do you have a friend who can gently instruct you when you are wrong or going in the wrong direction? I hope each of you have a person in your life that will not excuse your actions, but love you to repentance.

It is easy in ministry to surround ourselves with those who agree with us, make excuses for us and even join us in things that are not the best. I have shared with friends a mistake or a piece of gossip and had them laugh or confess they do the same thing. In those times I may feel better, but I am not nearer to God as a result.

God wants us to be kind but bold. We are to instruct and lead those around us to truth. Why is this important? Listen again to the last part of that verse. "escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will."

Ask God to give you an accountability partner who will gently lead you in the truth. If I am going to be captive, I want my heart to be completely captured by my God. The Lord has granted me through the years those ladies who love me enough to say, "You are wrong, stop it!"

I pray God will give you those kind of people in your life.

No comments: