Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Going to the Chapel....

Well, my nephew that got engaged in December was married last month. This is my sister's son and it is also my husband's brother's son (brothers married sisters!!!) We had been anticipating it for months. I had driven to Arkansas a couple of times and then flew once, in order to help my sister. Even though she is the mother of the groom, she helped more than normal because her daughter-in-law to be had a sister that gave birth to a premature baby just a few weeks before the wedding. Her mom went to Oklahoma to help with the baby and so we all pitched in to do whatever we could.

We had a blast!!!! Like most of you, I don't get a chance to see my family a lot. We have so much in common, and yet we hardly ever see each other face to face. We talk on the phone almost daily, but there is something wonderful about just hanging out with loved ones. There was such excitement and joy as each family member got into town. We stayed up late and got up early. We were deliriously tired and yet it didn't matter. We folded programs, tied bows, moved tables, set up chairs, painted columns....the list went on and on. Yet, we still had fun.

Finally, the big day arrived. My heart was beating so fast as the music started to play. I was in awe at how beautiful my sister looked. And I was so proud when I saw my brother-in-law, who is a pastor, walk out to perform the ceremony. The bridesmaids were beautiful, of course. But the flower girl stole the show. (She was my 2 year old granddaughter!!!)

However, when the bride started down the aisle, all eyes turned towards her. She was radiant and I was so excited that this day had come at last. I made sure that I could see my nephew's face so I could watch when he first got a glimpse of his bride. His eyes twinkled and I saw him mouthed the word "wow" as he saw her. What a precious moment. The ceremony was so sweet and my brother-in-law made it so very special.

But the ceremony ended in the most unique way. As Rob pronounced them man and wife, right before he kissed his bride, the groom turned to his best man, who just happened to be his twin brother. His brother squirted breath spray in his mouth and then, without missing a beat, Bryant turned to Amy, held her in his arms, dipped her backwards and gave her a kiss. The church erupted into laughter and applause. As they started down the steps the music began to play. It took a second for me to understand what it was, and then I recognized it. "Son of a Preacher Man"!!!!! It was then that I remembered again how much fun it was being in the ministry.

No comments: