Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Vacation Time

Everyone needs a vacation and I personally believe ministers need one every month. Vacations give us time to relax (unless you are running across a theme park) and to renew our lives.

Now as I have said before my idea of a perfect vacation is to plop down in my beach chair, dig my toes into the sugar white sand, take a deep breath and listen to the roar of the ocean while the sun warms my face. Yep, that is just perfection for me. For my husband it is golfing and checking out the area history.

Anyway, two weeks ago we returned from a vacation to Minot, ND to visit our son and his new wife. They are stationed at Minot Air Force Base. It may not sound very exotic but it was an adventure. We drove from Tennessee across the middle of the nation to our destination. Yep, it was a long two day drive yet it was pretty awe inspiring.

Across the middle of our nation into the Dakotas you find miles of prairie and farm land. Although it can get boring at times, there is a unique beauty too. The richness of the land and the colors of the sunset are definite God moment vacations. It is like the Father says, “I knew you were tired and weary of this tedious drive so let me refresh you with the beauty of my creation.”

If you have never been to the Dakotas, you really should experience it. Did you know sunflowers are grown there? Words cannot describe the beauty of miles and miles of happy sunflowers dancing in the breeze. What’s even more amazing is that at night they bow their weary heads in rest yet as the sun breaks forth and warms them during the day, the sunflowers turn their faces toward the heavens. Girls, it is almost like God gives them a “mini vacation” at night so that the sunflowers can renew themselves to praise their creator the next day!

Everyone needs a vacation whether it is to the beach or to simply step away into your backyard and enjoy a few moments in nature. I have an idea for you—grab a blanket tonight and find a great spot to glaze at the stars. (One command though—you cannot think about church only the Father!)

No comments: