Friday, September 4, 2009

MY OUT-OF-CONTROL PROJECT

You know how it unravels...first you get an idea to redo something in your house. Just a small project that won't cost a lot of money, take a lot of time, or be a big problem. Then you begin....

That's where I am. I decided a few months ago that I wanted to paint my bathroom. I should have known it was not going to be easy because right off the bat I couldn't even find the material I wanted for the curtains. I had picked out the paint last year when I saw it somewhere and really like it. However, trying to match the paint to some material that would match the rug proved to be more than I bargained for. FINALLY, after months of shopping at every fabric store I could find from Tennessee, to Arkansas, to Alabama, I finally found some material at a discount fabric store in North Carolina.!! So now it was time to paint.

As I started looking at what I needed to do Tuesday to get things going (take down the old curtains and blinds, remove the light fixture, etc.) I realized that the plate glass mirrors over both of our sinks had lost some of the backing around the edges and they looked black and ugly. So I thought I would just replace them. It was then that I realized that the finish on the lights above the mirrors did not match the faucet. So if I bought mirrors, which finish should I chose? Theeennnn I noticed, for the first time, that because the sinks were not centered in the countertops, the lights did not line up with the sink. So if I removed the big mirror, which goes from one side of the vanity to the other, and put up a regular mirror, then do I hang it over the sink and not line it up with the lights?

One of our church members and her husband were over at the house and I asked them what they thought. He is a carpenter by trade and I needed an expert's advice. They were not sure either. We could move the lights, but then it would involve an electrician. We could change out the vanity tops and center the sink (I do like those new glass bowl sinks that just sit on the vanity top !!!) but that would be a lot more money than I budgeted for. I also realized that if I changed out the sinks I would have to change out the cabinets because they would no longer line up.....

After a mind boggling time, I decided to have the carpenter frame out the plate mirror. That way you won't notice all the things that don't balance or match! One problem solved...
It's hard to believe I have already invested so much energy into this project and I haven't even opened the paint can!!!!

No comments: