Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Who Do You Appreciate?

In my Sunday Bible Study class we are studying “The Art of Connecting” by O. S. Hawkins through Lifeway’s Master Work series. One lesson in particular made me truly think on whom I appreciate in my church.

Of course, I love and appreciate my pastor husband who juggles home and family while shepherding our congregation. (Personally, he’s pretty awesome.) I feel blessed that we serve with a remarkably talented staff who strives to follow God’s leadership. However, there is one group of people I truly want to single out—my Sunday Bible Study class.

These individuals welcomed me into their class with open arms. They did not keep me at a distance as many people do with ministers wives. Instead they have embraced me with love and support. They just give me a safe place within the church to be me. Oh, I am quite sure they think I am crazy and they all know that I believe Jesus and chocolate make the world go round; however, they love me anyway.

So who do you appreciate in your church? Is it a staff wife or staff person? How about the janitor, pianist, or secretary? Could it be a prayer warrior, the nursery worker or just someone who is faithfully there week after week worshipping God?

Girlfriends, I want to encourage you to express your appreciate to a person in your congregation. Give them a call, take them to lunch, write a card, or surprise them with flowers or chocolate.


“Appreciation is the missing element in many relationships and its absence is at the root of many misunderstandings and strained friendships.” O. S. Hawkins

No comments: