Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Giving An Account

I have been reading a book by Ann Graham Lotz. The name of it is Magnificcent Obsession. I can highly recommend it even though I am not half way through the book yet.

As I read this morning she talked about our one on one relationship with Christ. I was reminded that I would give an account for the way I lived my life. Separate from my husband, children, friends, church. I will stand before God and give an account just for me.

God showed me this truth clearly when I had been married to Doug for about 7 years. God had moved us to Arkansas to a new church. We were both excited about this new journey. As we settled in, Doug became very busy as happens in a new church. I had two small children at home and Stephen, the youngest had health problems.

Mark started kindergarden, Stephen being ill, kept me in the house and Doug spent long hours at church. The people were friendly and anxious to get to know us, but I was confined to my home. I had not made many new friends and I became homesick for my old friends.

Doug and I were very happy and I depended on him for everything, including prayer. When I had a struggle, I mentioned it to God, but depended on Doug to go to the throne and pray about it. God seemed to answer his prayers more than He did mine. Of course, Doug was a prayer warrior. He woke early every morning (while I slept) and spent time in the Word and on his face before God.

One evening Doug was out late, the boys were in bed and I was lonely. I went out and sat on the front porch, looked at the stars and ask God, "Where are you?" In that quiet moment, God answered, "I am always here with you, where are you?"

I know this sounds simple, but that evening God and I had a long talk and He made it clear that He wanted to hear from me and talk to me (through His Word). I began a fresh walk of consitent one on one time with God. He was always there and He always answered. I still went to Doug with prayer concerns, but God and I could talk without him in the middle.

Is your relationship with God wrapped up in your husband's relationship? God wants to meet with you personally. Don't miss out - one day we will give an account!

No comments: