Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lost Data

I dropped my cell phone yesterday on the hard bathroom floor and after picking it up I discovered that the display was black. Normally, when computers, telephones or other technical devices do not work properly, my first course of action is to turn it off and turn it back on again. I did just that and after expecting to see the light come, on I saw nothing. Next step….take out the battery. Still I get nothing.

Panic is beginning to set in because I know no one’s phone number!! Not my husband’s, not my daughter’s, not my son’s, not even my church’s!!! How in the world did I get to the place in my life where I know no phone numbers? How is it that I have depended on technology to take care of so much of my life?

Not only do I need to deal with the stress of not being able to use my phone and not get to my contacts, I now must make a visit to the cell phone store. Honestly, I would rather visit the dentist and get a root canal than go to a cell phone store!! But I was desperate. I was out of town and could not contact anyone!!! After much begging and pleading, I now have a new cell phone but still no contacts. They were unable to get them from my broken phone to my new phone and I have lost the phone numbers of what seems like zillions of people.

As I pondered the ineffectiveness of my dependence on a cell phone to keep up with people and how ludicrous it was for me to not have written them down or backed them up, I knew there had to be a spiritual analogy in this!!

Then it hit me! Scripture memory!! I have access to scripture because I have access to unlimited amounts of Bibles. No worries, I can get to the Word whenever I want to. But, what if, God forbid, I was not able to have a Bible? Then what? Scripture teaches us to “Hide the word in our hearts” because it is a “lamp unto our feet” but what if we lived in a place or time where Bibles were forbidden?? What if my brain had an accident like my cell phone did and “broke” and I could not read? What if, for whatever reason, I was unable to get to the Word? Would I still have access to the “data” in there?

Oh, ladies, I am convicted about the amount of time I have wasted and not memorized enough Truth. Excuses abound and none are viable. Oh, Lord, forgive me for neglecting to memorize more of Your Word. On my own, I am incapable of doing it and desperately need Your power and desire and ability to dedicate myself to having access to Your Truth. In Jesus’ name I pray….

No comments: