Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day

Can you believe it? Where did the summer go? Today is Labor Day and now it is almost gone. Early in the summer, even as late as the first week or so of August, it just seemed so far away. Now, it has come and gone.

Riley is in the tub and I need to pack her lunch for school tomorrow. There is a Sunday School Conference at one of the Association's church's tomorrow night and I find myself already trying to plan dinner around my husband's schedule.

As he was finishing up the lawn mowing, I started an impromptu game of tag with Riley around the front yard. It felt good to get my pulse rate up and even better to hear her six-year old laugh fill my ears. When Wally put up the mower he joined in the chase and soon all of us were laughing.

Then as I ran Riley's bath water God used her words to tell me something. She said, "That was fun Momma. We should make time to do something like that everyday. I like to play games with you." It was then I realized that we hadn't played like that in a long time. But every day? Didn't Riley know how busy we are?

Instantly, God instantly convicted me that I am spending too much time trying to fit everything in to my day. Yes, I know I need my lists and calendars. Someone needs to take care of all those things that really must be done around the house. But those things, and my lists and my calendars are not to be in control of my day. I'M not even supposed to be in control of MY day. I pray in the mornings to give my time back to Him, yet He showed me that I am not really letting any of it go.

If my family is as important as I say they are, we should be able to play more often. The laundry CAN wait one more day. Nothing is ever as important as I act like it is. I don 't want to look back on these days and wonder where they went. I really want to live them, to savor them as the Creator who gifted them to me intended.

I totally believe that we women are sanctified through child bearing. God uses mine to make me more like Him all the time. What about you? Have you had a child teach you Truth lately?

No comments: