Monday, July 28, 2008

Bless Me

"Bless Me, Indeed"
I Chronicles 4:10

Recently, a friend that I went through this study with, called and said, "Let's do it again!" We have spent the last 30 days walking through this passage in the Bible together. It has been quite a journey. We used a book called, "The Jabez Prayer Experiement". This is a lab manuel with 30 personal devotions.

About nine years ago I studied "The Prayer of Jabez". I am sure many of you also did the same study. As a result of that study, the Lord taught me many things and showed me His Hand in many ways. If we could share with each other, I believe the praises of how God used this prayer in our lives would be endless.

I want to spend this week highlighting some of the things God has done in my life these past 30 days. This was a new walk through this scripture with new understanding and new calls to obedience.

As I pray for God to 'bless me', I often feel it is somewhat selfish. When we began this study together I was reminded that I ask for God's blessings in order that I can bless others. As I began to pray for blessings and opportunities to bless, God opened the doors and began to pour.

My family met an older retired minister and his wife. They recently moved into a very small trailer. We learned that they retired from ministry with virtually nothing. After giving theirs lives serving our Lord, they were eating out of cans with plastic forks and spoons.

We talked as a family and began to search our homes for things to give them. My mother came to visit and as I shared the need with her she said, "Why not buy them new things?" As I stopped and thought about how God has blessed me, I realized that His blessings were always the best!

As we went to the store to shop, I cannot tell you how much joy we experienced. We picked out dishes, glasses, silverware, dish towels, etc. They all matched! It was not alot of money and did not take alot of time, yet the blessings are not even countable!

Since then, we have shared things from each of our homes. My daughter-in-laws have shared towels, rugs, pots and pans and more. Each time we have dropped these things off, we have been more blessed than this sweet couple will ever be blessed.

I have just shared one event in many. These past 30 days I have been so blessed and so exicted about looking for the opportunity to pass that blessing on to God's people.

Ask God to "Bless You, Indeed", today. Ask God to show you who needs His blessing passed on to them, through you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Karen,
Thanks for the reminder about this awesome study. I tried to find "The Jabez Prayer Experiment" at our local bookstores and it is unavailable. However, I did find it for only $2.99 at www.christianbook.com just in case anyone else in interested in getting it.
Pat