Thursday, July 24, 2008

Brazil: Part Two

As I posted the other day, we have just returned from a ten mission day trip to Brazil. My brain is still in a fog. (My family would say that I live with permanent brain fog.) However, my heart overflows.
This mission trip was the first out of country trip for me. Sure, I've been to different locations in our country and experience the cultural differences here in the USA. However, this trip was an eye opener in many ways.

One item that sticks out for me is the way the Christians of Brazil worship our Heavenly Father. It is not unusal for a worship service to last two or more hours! They come for the purpose of meeting God. They are not worried that dinner might burn or where they have to be later in the day. So what if the preaching goes past noon. They are just happy to be with other Christians and praising God. I immediately feel a saddness in my heart for our churches here in America. We (and girls I am talking about me as well) fidget after fifteen minutes in the service. We all glance at our watches and wonder about lunch. I get antsy when my husband goes a couple of minutes over because I know someone in the congregation is going to chew preacher at their dinner table. Oh, how I wish we could be so consumed with true worship of our Father that we put aside our worries of the day.

Second, the Brazilians worship with soul stirring music. I love our music program at our church. I think it is truly awesome. However, we like many other churches lack something. We complain about the style of music and we are also afraid we might be off key. Well my dear sisters, we need to take lessons from Brazilian Christians. I have never heard such beautiful voices joining together in true worship! It does not matter that style of music-hymns, choruses, soft, or pulsing-they just sing with all their hearts. It does not matter if they are off key (I never heard an off pitch). They lift their voices to their Heavenly King. As for the Brazilian men, they sing with such emotion and force that you feel you are being lifted to heaven. For me it was a humbling experience because I am so concerned about hitting the right note and not being "too loud."


Last, I truly discovered that our Father is the Father in all nations. It does not matter our cultural diffences, our language barriers, or race. Our God is the one true God. Sure, we may not understand each others differences but God is the common demoninator. Just think of all the voices lifting praise and prayers before the throne each day. Our Heavenly Father hears each plea and praise. I imagine when we all get to heaven we will be able to understand every word spoken and song sung. I am humbled to think I will have Brazilian brothers and sisters as well as all Christians from all over the world standing beside me worshipping our Heavenly Father for eternity.
I know I have gone on about this trip but I am just full of God's goodness. I pray you do not find this boring. I hope that you will discover some tidbit that opens your eyes more to what God is doing in our world. I am just so grateful for my experience. I just want to encourage each of you to find an opportunity whether in state, in country or in another part of the world to experience Jesus as I did.

No comments: