Tuesday, July 22, 2008

God At Work

Well girls I have so much to tell you but I do not even know where to begin. God has done some amazing things these past ten days in my life. I have seen God working in ways that are totally unbelievable.


My hushand and I along with nineteen other mission hearted church members just return this morning at 8:00 a.m. from a mission trip to Brazil. We are so weary from the work and from the lack of sleep. Most of us have had very little sleep in the past 30 hours! So if my post sounds a little goofy just forgive me.


First, I just want to tell you that God amazingly allow me to go on this trip. The financial cost was high. We had to make cut backs in the household expenses and at times I did not feel like the trip would be possible for me. However, our church graciously paid my husband's way so this allowed me to put money toward my part of the trip. About three weeks before the trip I still owed $700. Now that may not sound like alot to some of you but to us it is. My plan was to make two big payments on the 1st and 15th. However, God had other plans. He placed an angel in our church who paid the balance for me. I still do not know who this person is but I can tell you that this was an unexpected blessing.
Secondly, our trip was to do construction for a new church start, medical/dentistry, and door to door evangelism. Of course, on any mission trip the key word is flexibility. Our first day of work went without a problem. However, the second day our medical team was told to stop all work. Although the team had done all the proper paperwork ahead of time, the medical inspectors did not approve the work and did not sign off on in country paperwork. The need for medical and dentistry work in the area we were in is great. It broke our heart that there was nothing we could do. However, God used it.
Third, because the medical/dentistry team could not work, they were able to assist in the construction and door to door evangelism. As a result a new church plant with only bricks on the street and dirt to be spread ended up having almost all four walls completed, electrical work done, and dirt and concrete spread for the floor. We began construction on Monday morning and Saturday night we had a dedication service in the church! It was just unbelievable. The building was packed to capacity and the grounds outside the church was full. God has great things in store for this new plant.


Fourth, as I said flexibility is key on a mission trip. The pastor of the mother church decided was needed to have a three mornings of children's activities. Now understand we did not assess to a lot of supplies. However, there were four of us who discovered we are great scavengers. We were able to get on the internet and print a couple of bible stories and coloring sheets. After searching many stores we located a few boxes of colors and chalk. You just have to use your imagination and trust God to supply.


Last, our door to door evangelism was something to behold. We went into homes that basically had nothing. One I went into had a bedroom for four people, a small kitch and bathroom, and a small sitting area. These people have nothing and I suddenly realized I complain too much. Very rarely were we turned away. God is doing a great work in Brazil. They are seeking hope. One lady who asked Jesus to be her Savior went from dull eyes to bright eyes filled with hope. It was amazing to see the physical change immediately. The good news is that the new church plant will be following up with all the new Christians.


Well ladies, I told you my heart was full and there is much more to tell. However, I'll save it for another day. I do ask that you pray for my husband and I as we much travel to Arkansas this afternoon. My husband's aunt passed away and she wanted him to preach her service. As tired as we are we cannot turned down this wonderful Christian woman's last request. I'll chat with again on Thursday so buckled your seatbelts for more tales from Brazil.
What are some of your amazing mission trip tales? I would love to hear about them.

No comments: