Friday, July 4, 2008

A Few Good Books



Our week with Ashleigh, Ella (2) and Jackson (almost 1) is over. The car had been loaded, hugs and kisses given, reminders to call when they reached her in-law's, and then the tears fell!! I cried as I picked up, put away, and put the house back to order.....then my husband and I fell into bed and took a nap!!



As I finish this week of "resources", I would like to mention just a couple of books. There are so many great ones out there it is hard to just mention a few.....
  • When Life and Beliefs Collide, by Carolyn Custis James. This great expository account of Mary and Martha taught me much about theology.....theology was always a word I stayed away from....it was way too intimidating! BUT Carolyn helped me to understand how important it was that we know theology....because in its simplest form, theology is what you believe about God! Her book focuses on how knowing God does make a difference! Carolyn is married to Frank James who lived across the street from me growing up in Dallas....he was instrumental in me becoming a Christ follower.

  • Hinds' Feet on High Places, by Hannah Hurnard. This allegory seems to be my story!! I am "much afraid" way too many times and God used this book to teach me many things about fear and the enemy and the love of my Father.

  • Don't Waste Your Life, by John Piper. The title caught my eye because I do desire to make my life count. I do not want to waste one second of it....to allow God to use me to make a lasting difference in the world.

  • The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, both by Khaled Hosseini. I rarely read non-Christian fiction because the books are not "rated" and I am not sure what I am getting. If I am going to read fiction, I will usually read Christian fiction and there are a lot of great authors to choose from BUT my mom asked me to read The Kite Runner....and then listened to A Thousand Splendid Suns when it came out. (I really have little time to read, and so will use my travel time to listed to books on CD, check out your library.) Both of these books opened my eyes to the plight of the people in present day Afghanistan. Oh, ladies, how it reminded me to pray for those people....and how grateful I am for our country!!

It is the 4th of July today.....pray for our country, its leaders and our future. For God to rain down His power and presence and mercy!! We are indeed blessed!!

Blessings!!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Dana,

Thanks for your kind remarks about my book. I will pass your remarks about Frank along to him. He speaks of you often and all the Dallas friends. Those were life-changing years for him and many treasured friendships.

Blessings!
Carolyn