Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Supporting Him At Home

I don't think this topic is exclusive only to minister's wives. Every wife needs to be supportive of her husband in the home, yet this may be the hardest place to treat our husbands with the respect and love he needs. 

After a long day of housework, errand running and disciplining our preschooler, it can be down right hard to shift gears into "adult mode" and be able to become that soft place my husband needs to fall back on. It is hard for me to give him the time to decompress, when I know that my first opportunity to relax won't come for another 3-5 hours. I try to greet him with a smile and some assurance that dinner will be ready in no more than 45 minutes. This may or may not happen, but I really try to have the house straightened too. I want him to want to come home. 

I know that there are days when he feels like he is living for the church. I know he has dozens of people with various demands upon his time. I know that there are weekends that turn into weeks where he feels like he hasn't been home at all. So if he is able to be here for bedtime or not, I want him to know that he was missed, without making him feel guilty for missing it,  whatever "it" was. 

Yes, there are times when our husbands may neglect some of their responsibilities around the house. The grass may need mowed and the oil may need changing in the car. That project on the "Honey Do List" may have lived on that list for far too long. You may be frustrated that he is THE spiritual leader at church, but has trouble filling that role with you and the kids. You may feel like he is always there for everyone else, but never for you . . . 

Dear Friend, take heart! Let me remind you that our "duties" at home are incredibly noble and very important, no matter what our culture may say. Do everything as for the Lord, and trust that He will be your fulfillment - not scrubbing the toilet, or wiping running noses, but that He is being glorified in how you run your house. 

One sin that I so easily still fall prey to, is trying to put my husband in the place in my life that God belongs. My sweetie, while he does many things amazing well, cannot meet the needs in my life that only God can fill. Yet, time and time again I want him to "complete me".  I expect him to read my mind and make me happy. Ladies, our husbands are not responsible for our happiness!

So, how do I suggest supporting our husbands at home? 

Pray.

It shouldn't amaze me, but it always does. When I seek God first, all these things are added. I set my clock and get up early so I can begin my day in prayer. I journal my prayers for myself, my husband and my daughter being sure to include all those things that they do that I think will drive me crazy loca! After all, I have learned that only God can change those circumstances or behaviors that seem so permanent.

So what is it you do to support your husband when he comes home? Maybe the business meetings at your church aren't stressful for him, but what advice would you offer the minister's wife that isn't so blessed?

No comments: