Friday, July 18, 2008

Supporting Him In Transition

My husband has often joked that I am the best job security that he has. I don't know how true that is, but I really do look at us as a ministry team. He is definitely the captain of that team,  and I guess, I am striving to be the MVP.

One thing is true, a minister's wife can either help make the minister or totally break him. I have seen wives do both. I think this can't be more clearly displayed in how the couple handles times of transition. Whether it is a child graduating from school, or God calling you to a church out-of-state, transition can really serve as a microscope to see what your relationship is really all about.

Recently, I have seen God call two different ministers to two different states. There wives had two very different reactions. One is totally behind her husband, knowing with her whole heart and confirming that this is God's will for their young family. The other, loving God and her husband, isn't so sure that this is God's will, but is doing her best to trust both of them. These ladies are both up for some crazy stressful times and are both seeking prayer support for their marriages in the days ahead. There have been tears and fears. There have been dreams and even a scheme or two. But they are both prayerfully in their attitudes and actions supporting their husbands. 

I have been there myself. There have been times I have doubted what we were doing was God's will. Honestly, I am quite thankful that God doesn't place us ladies in the hot seat of being the leader of the home. There have been other times I have known without a doubt, though it is hard to discern what is ahead, that we were moving in the direction that God had ordained. 

Through it all, I know He has brought us closer to each other, but more importantly, closer to Him. My prayer is that in these inevitable times of transition, that He uses our marriage to glorify Himself. That is the reminder that I need so often; it isn't about me or even us. It is all about Him.

No comments: